Friday, September 17, 2010

Metamorphosis



Today, a MAGNIFICENT event happened in the third grade hallway. We were witnesses to the magical process of METAMORPHOSIS. Mrs. Flinn brought in some catepillars feeding on milkweed during the first week of school. Over the course of the last 2 weeks- we have watched the catepillars eat (Boy! They can sure chow down!), we have watched them spin their cocoons, and today we watched the first BEAUTIFUL Monarch butterfly emerge. Mrs. Flinn released it into the wild. Some of us were able to observe the first flight. It was grand!

For my scientists out there, I have two questions.
1. When the butterfly took its first flight, was that an instinct or a learned behavior?
2. If I was to measure the LENGTH of the cocoon, what do you ESTIMATE it would measure?

I'd love to for you to post a reply with the answers!!!

10 comments:

  1. 1. Instinct

    2. I estimated it would be about 1 inch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I think that the first flight was an instinct.
    2. I think the cocoon would be 2 inches.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is instinct. I think it is 3 inches.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dylan
    1. Instinct
    2. About 1-2 inches. It depends on the size of the caterpiller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailey
    1. The butterfly's first flight was instinct.
    2. I would say it was about 1 to 2 inches long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JACOB
    1.INSTINCT
    2.ABOUT 1 INCH

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I think that it is an instinct.
    2. I think the cocoon is about 1 inch.
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madelyn,
    1. Instinct
    2. I think it would be 1 1/2 inches

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Its an instinct because the butterfly knew to dry its wings.

    2. I think if we measured it, it would be about 10cm long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. benjamin 1.insect
    2.i think about 2cm long because at my old school we had some

    ReplyDelete